What has been going on in my life recently? And what is that strange title to a blog?
Lately I have been experiencing some level of depression. I just recognized last night that my sadness and lack of energy must be depression.
I realized that I had been lacking many things in my life that I used to feel, an energy, and happiness in life that has always seemed to be "me".
Last night, I realized that I had not been reading the Word like I used to do often, so I picked up the Bible, praying that God would lead me to a comforting scripture that would help me. I opened the Bible and it fell open at Matthew 21, verse 18, where Jesus was talking about the fig tree. After reading that, I thought, what does this mean to me? I then saw it, I have not been producing fruit in my life toward others. I have been consumed with my job, and all the things that interest me. I had not considered the fact that I was not taking time to read and pray as I should. After that realization, I already started feeling better about life. I am going to approach life with more interest, try to produce "fruit" of love and giving and kindness that would please my Lord.
Galations 5:22,But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23,Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
This is the day the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.
15 comments:
Oh Mom! What an inspirational post. I think we all go through bouts of depression and sadness at some point in our lives. Sometimes it comes and goes. And you are so right. We need to get in the Word and pray. We all need to do more of that. Sometimes when I am down, I find that doing something for someoone else helps me. Even if it is just a simple phone call or email. I love to cook for others. And you gave me the idea to give a loaf of bread. Thank you for this post. It is beautiful.
I think you are on the right track. There is so much that will occupy our time and thoughts, and we just have to put our time with the Lord as a priority or it just won't ever squeeze in.
I also think your daughter Val is just about the sweetest blogger out there. You must be a great mom to have raised such a special woman.
Hope you are feeling like yourself very soon.
Amen. You are right! I think people are happier to have a dr. 'fix' them with pills, instead of trying to figure out why they feel the way they do. I had trouble the first of the year for a month or so, and decided that the underlying problem was ME. I vowed to not let people push me, or bring me down. Keep calm and carry on! It has helped tremendously! Hope you feel better!
Great post and so humble of you to share how you have been feeling.
Gods Word is definitely the place to go. I have been preparing a message for church from Ephesians 3:14-22. The focus of love is key...Love the Lord your God.....
In our busy lives we can let many things get in the way of what we should be doing, focussing on God, loving God and sharing that Love with those around us.
Thank you for your reminder of the importance of God and His Word
I have suffered from depression for several years now, and finally am finding my way through to the other side. My depression came from stress and worry while caring for my Daddy, and then after he died dealing with my brother and his sons - not an easy task. That is why I started my 'little gifts' campaign! To take the emphasis off of me and onto others. It is amazing how God will use you when you start looking for ways to share His love with others - and He will bless those efforts with JOY! That is what has worked for me. You must find what works for you . . . and I think you are well on your way! Blessings, Becky G.
Mom, I know this is my second comment but wanted to share something that someone wrote on facebook. I loved it. "He has already been where we are going. That reason alone empowers us to face every tomorrow with hope, knowing that whatever touches us passes through His hands, with His permission. He has already set in motion the defeat and fall of every giant that we will ever face. The Holy Ghost will guide the path of His truth to its destined mark, taking down the giants trying to defeat us, HIS children!" Isn't that beautiful and so encouraging!!!
I am sorry that you have been feeling depressed, but you have certainly gone to the right place for healing. I love the passage that you were taken to and I know that it has given you an insight into what is necessary. His word has such a way to comfort us and lead us to where we need to be in our lives.
A strong woman... is one who feels deeply and loves fiercely. Her tears flow just as abundantly as her laughter. She is....both soft and powerful, practical and spiritual. Her essence...is a gift to the world. Alice, you are a strong woman in my eyes and I'm sure His. Continue to renew your mind and heart in His Word and you will find that strong woman we all see as you look to Him. Love you so much! Vicki
Good morning Alice,
I have visited here now and then but I don't think I have posted till now.
I am so happy you found what you are looking for...it's something we all need but don't realize it.
And the WORD is a great healer...please know you are not alone with these toughts and feelings...most of us go through them and don't know how to work through them. You are one of the lucky ones.
Bless you and I pray you have coomfort with your new found 'freedom'.
Karen
Alice Grace, I think we can all fall into the snare of being down. The enemy is always on the roam to keep God's children from sharing the Good News. And with the world situations the way they have been playing out, it can also drag us down. But we know that "all things work together for good to them that love Him and are called according to His name." Praise the Lord that you found so much encouragement in God's Word. And here is one more -
"Cast thy burden upon the Lord and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psalm 55:22
My husband gave me that verse when I had my back injury and I was very low. We need to continue to praise God and thank Him for His mercies every day. Especially when we are feeling sad and alone. Blessings to you!
Jocelyn
When I start to feel depressed I do as you did, I go to the word and start reading. Before long I'll turn to a page and it's as if the Lord has led me to a passage that is perfect for my sistuation.
Alice,
I think sometimes we all get a little off-track and need our spirits renewed. I guess that's why I love the springtime. It's so amazing to see how God takes the drab, winter landscape and uses his sunlight and rain to restore its beauty! His "Sonlight" and Word certainly does the same for our hearts, doesn't it? We all need to spend more time producing the fruit of the Spirit. Thank you for the reminder!
I know exactly what you mean! Whenever I start to get down, to feel sorry for myself, feel lost or lonely or sad, I try to look around and see what's going on, or not going on, to cause it. I've been blessed so much in my life that there's no excuse for feeling that way so I try to get to the root of the cause. I just finished an eleven week study of David and I took some "time off" from reading and studying to rest from the busyness of that study. Mistake! It left me with that lost feeling. When we're in the Word we focus on others and when we're out of it we focus on ourselves. I'm going to remind myself of that every time I think about taking a "vacation." blessings, marlene
Alice, thanks so much for this post. You have reminded me that I've let my Bible study dwindle lately too. Today's the day I start back.
Praying for you and hoping that the depression creeps back into whatever corner he came from. Depression can be very debilitating.
God bless you, dear one. --Susan
Val sent me over to your blog after reading the post that I had done about my feelings of depression. Whilst your post is full of looking for an answer, I'm afraid mine was me feeling sorry for myself. After a day of working in the garden and keeping busy, I am feeling much better today but I'd like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and that I am not the only one who sometimes gets these feelings.
Sue
Post a Comment