Dec 4, 2007

My Grandmother's Pitcher

I have my Grandmother's pitcher in my belongings. It was a gift to her from my Mother when Mother was 10 years old. That makes this pitcher over one hundred years old.
In those days, Mama said, you could gather the eggs from the hen's nest and go to the store and sell them. Mama took her eggs and walked to the store and bought this pitcher with a bowl underneath it for her Mother, my Grandmother.
The bowl is long gone, but Mama kept the pitcher as long as she lived, and it has ended up at my home. I cherish it as a reminder of the love my Mother had for her Mother.
The pitcher is very fragile and I am almost afraid to touch it. There is a crackle look around the top of it from age, but otherwise there is not a chip on it. A little faded gold motif decorates the sides of it.
It is a sweet memory of a child's love gift to her Mother.

6 comments:

Val said...

What a blessing to have a treasure like that from your grandmother. I am looking forward to more on your blog. It is wonderful!

Unknown said...

You are so lucky. My mom has her grandmother's quilt and I can't wait for it to be passed to me. I also have costume jewlery from my great-grandmother. I treasure it, too.

Vicki said...

Oh, the peace I experienced when I logged onto "Thoughts of Home"!! Thank you for sharing with a world that is hurting. Hopefully many people in search of the peace that only comes from above will log in and sense His presence through your life stories and His word. I loved the music!! Thank you Alice Grace and Merry Christmas! Love, Vicki

Val said...

Hey Nana! It's Mandy...

As you know, Grandma Cochran meant and means the world to me. I told Mom the other day that ever since she went to Heaven, I have always thought that she was an angel watching over me... When I was younger and probably doing things I should not have been doing or when I was doing great things, I always thought Grandma was watching over me - when I reminded myself of this, I then made sure that I was doing something that would make her proud of me. I think about her all the time and knowing that this pitcher was passed from her mother (who I'm named after) to her, makes it very special!!! Thanks for sharing another little piece of Grandma with me!!! I love you! Mandy Jane

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful blog! This is so peaceful and lovely! What a wonderful way to honor those you love!

Anonymous said...

NANA, I LIKE IT AND YOU ARE A SPECIAL NANA TO ME. I LIKE YOUR BLOG. I LIKE JAMI'S ROOM. I LOVE YOU, ALYSSA