Dec 23, 2007

Stories Of The Past




At this Christmas season, my mind goes back to people in my life that have made an impact on me. My Mother first, who loved Christmas so very much The many memories of my dear Mother are indelible on my mind at this season. She did so love Christmas because it was commemorating the birth of our Saviour who meant everything to her.

There will be many posts in the future about my Mother, but this morning, I have my Mother-in-Law on my mind.

In 1996, in the month of June, my Mother-in-law had been at my home to spend a week with me. It was her way of having a vacation. I was so glad to have her, even though I had to work during the day.
She sat on the front porch in the rocking chair and enjoyed the peace of my neighborhood. Her home was in an apartment with many elderly people, and her only outlet were the people who gathered in the communal area, and the cafeteria. So coming here was a treat for her, where she could be in a different place, talk to different people, and just enjoy the beautiful weather.
I always enjoyed her company, as she, being an avid reader, as I am, the two of us could have great conversations.
Later in her life, she finally was moved to our area into a beautiful facility which she enjoyed tremendously until her death. We went to garage sales every Saturday, which was her favorite thing to do, because she collected little vases. When she passed away she had hundreds that she had collected. Many were very nice, many were just ones that she liked. She also picked up many novels to read. She read about two books a week.
In her earlier days, she had been a "society" lady, traveling by train and plane to many places with her husband before he died. However, when she was considered too old to travel, she was content to be where she was, interacting with the other residents.


Her last years were committed to God as her Saviour.
I really miss her.

During one of the trips when I went to pick her up to come stay awhile with me while she was living in Alabama, she began to tell me a story about a family member, who was deceased. The story was so interesting that I hardly remembered the two and one-half hour drive from my home to hers. It inspired me so, that I could not wait to get back home to write it down. I took some liberties with the story near the end, but all in all, the story is totally true as she told it to me.

I do not pretend to be a writer, and especially a poet. I do not know the proper way to turn a phrase and the proper meters of poetry, but this is the way it came from my memory of the story. I have changed the name of the person I have written about for privacy.






Sarah



She loved things



beautiful things



old things



new things.



Many times



she would find a treasure



and take it home



and shine it



and work on it



until it became beautiful.



She surrounded herself



with her things.



Even a big black grand piano.



And she would run her long slender fingers



over the ivory keys



Until she would imagine that



It sounded as good



As one in Carnegie Hall.



She collected things



All her life.



She got such pleasure



From looking at



Her things.



One day, she became sick.



Someone took her



To her daughter's house.



A big modern house



With modern things in it.



Her things came



In a big truck



And were shoved carelessly



Into a shed at the back



Of the big modern house.



Even the big black grand piano.



As her illness progressed



Her daughter took her



To a nursing home.



There, she saw wheel chairs



And sick people



And nurses



And doctors



And there were no



Beautiful things.



She's gone now.



Her things are still



In the shed



At the back of the big



Modern house.



Even the big black



Grand piano.



Things come and go



In the big modern house.



Modern things



Seem to have



No lasting value.



Modern furniture



Ugly



And garish



And bold



And bright.



Some even decorated



With plastic.



A music system called



Surround-sound



From which loud harsh sounds



Were made to come.



The grandchildren



Have long ago



Discovered the shed



At the back



Of the house



With her things.



Her beautiful things.



Her cherished things.



Even the big black



Grand Piano.



The grandchildren



Have been into



The trunks



Where her clothes were stored.



Her once beautiful clothes.



Clothes that made her feel special



And beautiful.



The grandchildren put on



Those clothes



And played in them



And ripped them



And made tatters in them



And got them dirty



Then threw them down



And walked away.



The shed is getting old now.



No one has cared for it



And the water drips through



The roof when it rains.



Even onto the big black grand piano



Until there are ugly white



Spots on the paint



And cracks in the wood.



And dust on the ivory notes.



Her clothes lay tattered



And dirty



On the floor



And spiders have built



Cobwebs around them.



A picture lies



On the floor



And there is a tear in



The canvas



Of the beautiful piece of art



Where it has fallen



Against something.



And it is covered in dust



So that one can



Barely detect



The beauty that once was there.



A granddaughter



Opens the door



To the old shed one day



And looks in disgust.



"Why doesn't someone



Do something with this place",



She thinks.



"All this junk.



All these things.



Things that have



No meaning".



Not even the



Big black



Grand Piano.




(copyright 1996)




***********************************




The moral of this story to me, is that we should respect and cherish the things of our loved ones that have left this world. Our children should be taught to love their family members enough that a respect for the person and the things that made them happy should be important to them. I know that things are the least important, a relationship with our God is the most important. And in the end, the love of our family and friends should bring a respect of the things they loved, and stories of lives lived for God should be passed on from generation to generation so that we all may improve on that knowledge to make our lives even better.


Then again, someone once told me, "things can be replaced, people can't".



The reader can draw their own conclusion about this story.



What seems lacking in this story is the mention of Sarah's relationship with God. I do not know the answer to that. Another lesson.



Things will pass away, but only lives lived for God will last.

4 comments:

Val said...

This makes you really stop and think. This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Brenda said...

It's almost as if "Sarah" is very near to that old shed and watching sadly, the slow destruction of a very careful life. Beautifully written...

Anonymous said...

Alice, This story touched my heart as I have experienced this in my own way with the passing of my sister, Donna last month. I wanted to pack her things away myself because I wanted all her belongings to be handled with utmost respect. I have a large family with my Dad and 2 brothers and another sister still with us. Donna also has a grown son. I don't mean to imply that they would have been disrespectful of her things but I knew this was something I just had to do without a lot of discussion. Maybe I was being selfish, and maybe hurt some feelings but it was a healing balm for me to do this. Even last night I talked with my husband concerning an item in her home that a friend had given her just a couple of weeks before she died, the smile on her face as she took me into her bedroom to show me a small stuffed dog that barked music carols... I told him I wished I had taken the little dog to her friend and given it back and told her the about the smile on my sister's face as she shared this small gift with me and the concern she had for her friend as she has a brain tumor. Little did we know that my sister would pass unexpectedly 2 weeks later. As I think back that was probably the last smile I saw on my sister's face. Something so insignificant to others meant the world to Donna. To end this story I have you tell you that I do not know where the little stuffed dog is that brought such joy to my sister's heart. But I have learned a lesson that even the smallest acts of kindness shown to others no matter what it may be can bring a smile to someones heart and life. Missing my sister... Vicki

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sarah...such a sweet story. I think you are a fine writer! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's a small world, isn't it? And it seems we have a lot in common!