Jun 29, 2009

Weekend Sewing Marathon










Do you think we have enough sewing machines out?



Laverne sewing around a doll.




A queen size bed full of dolls!





This picture does not do this one justice. It is beautiful!
















This one is a little different. It has a J Crews label on the feet.




Every color you can imagine.



Before sewing.




Waiting for her turn to be sewn together.




This past weekend was so much fun! My best friend, Laverne came down on Friday night and brought a lot of dutch doll cutouts for us to sew for a quilt top for me. Laverne has made two of these quilts and they are beautiful. Actually, they are not all dutch dolls, some of the patterns are Sunbonnet Sue, they are mixed.
Laverne knows I can't cut out small pieces of fabric like that due to my carpal tunnel problem, so she not only furnished the fabric, she cut them all out. What a gift!
We know that the original way to do one of these quilts is to applique them by hand, and enhance them with embroidery, but with my wrist problem, that is impossible for me, so I depend on my trusty sewing machine. I will enhance some of them with embroidery work from my sewing machine. I also plan to put a few little things on some of the sashing, such as kitty cats and dogs playing among the sashing.
We sewed about a half day Saturday and most of the day on Sunday. I have enough blocks to make a queen size quilt top. I will be adding enhancements to each doll, such as lace and ribbons and buttons. I will be putting sashing between each doll square, which will make each doll look as if it has a frame around it. I have not yet picked out the fabric for the sashing, but that is on my agenda for this week.
I am so proud of this quilt top, and I so look forward to finishing it very soon.












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great fun project for you and Laverne to work on together. I imagine there were a lot of laughs and memories shared over the weekend. It will be just beautiful and such a treasure.

Val said...

Oh how fun! I know you had a ball! Thank goodness for good friends. The quilt is going to be beautiful. I love it.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a great weekend of sewing. I love the little dolls and they will look so nice all finished up. You certainly have a sweet friend to go to all of that work for you.

G'G'ma said...

Oh, how much fun! You had your own retreat. And you gals made so much progress. Looking forward to seeing the squares with the embelishments.

Brenda Sue said...

This will be such a precious quilt - not only for it's sweet loveliness, but for the memories made making it! Love, Brenda

Carole Burant said...

Happy 4th of July, dear Alice!! I'm finally catching up on your latest news so please know that I've read all of your latest posts:-) That quilt with the dolls is absolutely gorgeous...so delightful!! You're really making me wish I knew how to sew! lol My mom has always been a very talented seamstress but alas she didn't pass on that talent to me, although she tried:-)

I do hope you haven't been having any more problems with your back? Please know that my prayers continue for you. Take good care of yourself and I promise not to take so long to visit you again:-) xoxo