Apr 4, 2008

My First Doll - "Jami-Girl"






I have always been a lover of dolls, from the time I received my first doll at Christmas when I was very small. It seems I could never get enough of them! When I learned that there was a doll-making studio near me a few years ago, my best friend, Laverne, and I went there and started making dolls.
We had so much fun, learning to sand the porcelain pieces and having them placed in the kilns and then painting them, to be fired one more time for the finished product. It was one of the most rewarding things I had ever done.
The pictures in this post are of the first porcelain doll I ever made. I named it Jami-Girl after my lovely granddaughter, Jami.
Laverne and I made all the clothes that went on our dolls, and had a lot of fun doing that, also. I am not a professional seamstress, so tackling the pattern that accompanied the doll I chose was somewhat difficult, especially since it was velvet fabric. These are the pictures of Jami-Girl, my first attempt.

6 comments:

Val said...

Jami Girl is just beautiful! I love her. You did a wonderful job. Now you are a quilter, right?

Susie said...

Jami Girl has such a sweet face. Love the green velvet dress too..
hugs

Jan said...

Oh she is cute. My dolls are waldorf syle and I have only been at this for three months.

JUST A MOM said...

She is beautiful!!!! My aunt must have 500 NO JOKE dols in her upstairs,, she added a secnd floor just for hthe dolls.

Needled Mom said...

What a beautiful doll. I love the clothing too. I suppose that someday she will have to belong to Jami.

Midlife Mom said...

You did a wonderful job on your doll! It sure doesn't look like a first time project! I think making doll clothes are hard as the pieces are so small. The green velvet is lovely. I got a big kick out of your seam ripper story! Oh how some days that just seems to be the way it goes, the 'ole seam ripper is our best friend! I just finished a big wall hanging for a customer that I will post after she receives it and gives me the okay. It's really cute, all different kinds of tractors as her husband is a tractor lover. Your quilt blocks look really good, you are a perfectionist on those points! Good job!! :o)