Jul 18, 2008

Dreams of Time to Embroider and a Pillowcase Giveaway

My daughter, Valerie, and I are working on learning to quilt, and now we are dreaming also of embroidering. I ran across some great things in my embroidery storage box that I thought she might be interested in. She is leaving on vacation so I sent a quilt square for her to embroider while she was away. (How many think she will have time for that at the beach! LOL) I also gave her one box of embroidery thread that I had found at a yard sale along with a new set of embroidery needles.

I bought 8 boxes of embroidery thread all color coordinated and labeled from a lady whose mother in law had passed away for $8! I asked her how she could part with her mother in law's wonderful items, and she said she had no interest in it. It was my pleasure to take them off her hands! (I would have loved to have seen that lady's handwork, you can tell she knew what she was doing.)
**********************************************
Below is a picture of one of twelve preprinted 18" quilt squares. This is like Valerie took with her on her vacation, "just in case it rains".


I ran across this table scarf embroidered by my wonderful Mother years ago. Embroidery and crocheting were her favorite things to do, and she crocheted as long as her little hands would let her. It broke her heart at about the age of 87 when she could no longer crochet, so you can see why I cherish this piece she did.
**********************************************



**********************************************


Check out this great blog I just found! Dani at China Lake News is giving away this lovely set of pillowcases to embroider. Go on over there and check out her great talents!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, what a find. And don't the threads look so pretty all snuggled up in the boxes. I hope Valerie enjoys week both with and without the embroidering.

Val said...

I love this Mom! I have my things all packed up and ready to go! Sunshine or rain I will have something to do. I will miss you!

Anonymous said...

Those colors are so pretty! I'll bet Valerie (secretly) hopes it rains a bit! Grandma's handiwork is beautiful and precious. I dream of being as creative as you, Valerie and Grandma! What an inspiration you all are! Love, Brenda

Pattie said...

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog. It's nice to meet you!

You got all that embroidery floss for $8?? What a find! I bet the lady who once used it so lovingly is smiling down, happy that you bought it and will put it to good use.

I love your Quiltalong star bocks, by the way. They’re beautiful!

Susie said...

What a wonderful find for $8! My dear late MIL did embroidery and I have a few very special pieces.
Love the table scarf done so lovingly by your Mom. What a precious keepsake!
xo

Memphis Mimi said...

Alice Grace, I have some very important information for Cora on how she can get some help with her cancer treatment. I left a comment on her last post but there are so many comments that I don't know if she will see it. If you know how to get in touch with her please have her email me at teri.calhoun@gmail.com or
check out my comments on her post 2 days ago about her family helping her pay for her meds. Thanks. Love your site. Will look at it more closely later. Right now I have to get Cora's attention. Thanks.

Danetta said...

What fun you are going to have with the emboidery. Your quilt blocks for the quiltalong are beautiful!

Midlife Mom said...

What a bargain! All that floss would cost a mint to buy individually! I have some embroidery pieces that different ones made in the past and I just love them. I don't like to use them too much though as I'm afraid of washing them too much. I guess on the delicate cycle would work fine. Some of these things are becoming a lost art aren't they?

Sunny said...

What a lucky find. I do counted cross-sttich. I have always wanted to learn hand embroidery. My collection is very small. I did purchase some on eBay, but I did not get as lucky as you!

Needled Mom said...

I would love to find something like that at a sale. My goodness, what a steal.

I can't think of much better to do while sitting on the beach. Can you? It will make a beautiful quilt when finished.

Scottish Nanna said...

Hi alice I love the Bird Stitchery You gave your Daughter.It is gorgeous You asked About my Pillov I did It was A kit I bought At a craft shop Thanks for looking in.
Hugs Mary.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and was pleasantly surprised to see my name mentioned...THANKS! what a treat! and your mom's embroider work is such a treasure...