Playing tennis on the Wii
Resting from the game
Matt was home from college! Isn't he gorgeous!
My granddaughter, learning about her new sewing machine.
Cutting out her pattern for a dress
Getting close to being finished! Her first sewing experience!
See the phone close by? Never a moment to be away from friends!
Two happy happy 12 year olds with new shirts Nana made!This was a very interesting week! I took four days of well needed vacation this past week to be with some of my family who were visiting. My daughter, Valerie and her family were gone to Myrtle Beach on vacation, (go on over there and see her wonderful pictures!), and my daughter, Brenda, and her family came down to visit me from their home in Tennessee. They really missed Valerie and family, but it was the only time they could come, due to school starting, and various activities they had going at home.
I decided it would be a great time to teach my granddaughter a little bit about sewing, which she really wanted to do. We did not really go anywhere, other than some fabulous meals at different restaurants, etc.
My two grandsons, age 12, wanted me to make them a shirt! I had never made boys' clothes before, so it was a learning experience for me. We went to Hancock's and they picked out their pattern and fabric, and my granddaughter picked out hers as well. She had brought her little sewing machine that I had bought for them many years ago, and it was really bad. I went to WalMart and bought her a little inexpensive Brother machine that she could take to college with her.
My granddaughter was so excited and did so well. First, she made two strawberry cakes while here, one to give to her great aunt, and one for us to eat. They were delicious! She cut out and made her own dress while here. The only thing not finished when she left were the sleeves and the hem. They just ran out of time to get it all done, but she will finish it at home.
My grandson, Tyler, who lives near me was here, also, along with his Mom, Karen, and brother, Matt. They brought their "Wii" game and it was just a great family marathon of sewing and gaming. The Wii is so physical, it wore us all out! What a week! All had fun and everyone was exhausted from all the activity we had just around here. It is amazing how much fun we can have, just entertaining ourselves and staying home!
I loved it, because I work so much, it was nice to see my home in the daytime and not have to rush out every morning. I made Block 11 of the Quilt along with Amanda Jean, but it is only 12", so I am making another one of those. The only thing missing was Valerie and her family, but they were having a great time at Myrtle Beach!
All in all, it was a wonderful week!

10 comments:
You must have had such fun having the time off and spending it with your family. Your granddaughter is lovely and looks so proud of her new dress!
hugs
What a fun week we all had with our favorite person in the whole world.. You! Robbie had been counting down the days until we arrived and cried when we left and wore his brand new shirt for TWO days including bedtime! I also felt like crying. It was the best week we have had in a very long time! Thank you for taking the time off from work to be with us. The memories made will always be precious. We love you, Mama. Brenda, Jami & Robbie
Thank you for spending so much time and love into my shirt, Nana. I loved being at your house with you. Love, Robbie Lee
I love you Nana. Thanks for all you do for me. Love, Jami
I just loved this post. I loved seeing my nephews and neice. I would have loved to be in the sewing marathon. Jami's dress is gorgeous! I love the shirts also. What fun! I am glad that Brenda and Karen got to spend time with you. I don't know what I would do if I didn't get to even if most of the time it is through the computer.
I forgot to mention how proud I am of Matthew finishing college. Congrats!
You're such a wonderful Gramma to the kiddos.
Your blog is pink...didn't it used to be a different color? I like the pink! (and I liked the other one too, but I am into pink these days)
Sounds like a wonderful week of making memories that the kids will cherish for years. You're a great Grandma!
What a super Grandma you are! Well done to your grandaughter for making that lovely dress! Oh, am I ever looking forward to being a Granny too!
I bought one of those Brother machines for $99 about 8 years ago when my expensive machine was giving me a fit for the second time in its short ownership. I was making Raggady Anns for all my neices and grand nieces for Christmas. Well I used that machine until I got my new Bernina this past March. Now, I've given it to my daughter and she is learning to sew and quilt. So, it was a great machine for the money.
Mama Bear
Post a Comment