Jul 13, 2008

Making Progress-Beginning Fabric Stash





As a beginning quilter, I have been very unorganized. I finally totally emptied a small closet in one of the bedrooms and started my fabric stash and sewing supplies in there. One of my blogger friends once said I would have fabric everywhere at first, and she was so right. I finally decided to get more organized. I know I don't have as much as most quilters, and I don't have all my fabrics in there yet, but I have a very good beginning! I will be very proud to be able to look at it all at once, rather than in plastic storage boxes, and having to search for my fabrics. I still have a lot to go, I will do small shelves on each side as well, but at least I am getting it all in one area in the same room as my sewing machine. When I get finished with this project, I will work on making a design wall. I am lurking around all your quilting blogs to try to learn as much as I can. Thanks to all of you!

13 comments:

Val said...

This is great! I wish my sewing area looked like this. I am working on it though! You are the most organized person I know. I love it!

Karen said...

Your stash looks so neat. Wish mine looked as good. My girls organized my stash for me in Jan. It took me no time at all to unorganize it;) Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

It all is so well organized and tidy. I needed this to inspire me today as I am now ready to move all of my stash to a different room and at the moment it's in a state of disorganization. I have it jammed on shelves, in baskets, and in plastic containers in odd places and for me out of sight is out of mind. I have to have it all in one place and in nice little stacks to be content. Seeing your closet shelf reminds me that I could go that way instead of having wood shelves built...a good thought. Once I get them done I will be posting the "ta-da" results. :)

Needled Mom said...

It is amazing how quickly you will run out of room for fabric. It all looks so neat now and I hope that you will take a photo of it in a year and let us all see how addicted you have become to fabrics. It's a great addiction!!!

Fiber Babble said...

LOL! You're so cute!! Be sure to hold onto this post for a year down the road (ack - FIVE years!). You're gonna come back and say, "Wow, I can't believe I was ever that organized!"

Welcome to the sister(and brother)hood. It's all mountains - of fabric and UFO's - from here!

jacquie said...

Here's an idea for your design wall. I bought those display boards with foam in the middle (they look like poster board on the top and bottom). I got the largest size they had at office depot. Only 3 could fit on my wall in my tiny studio. I covered each with white flannel. (Taped it on the back) I put them on my wall with small nails and instant design wall and very inexpensive and easy to do.

Jan said...

Love your neat stash but wait in time there will be so much more! At my fabric sale I sold over 1000 yards from my stash and I still have more than you have. Its addicting!

GranthamLynn said...

You are doing amazingly well. Just keep working at it. I don't think we ever get it exactly as we want it. I am with you though on this quest. I just moved to a new house and so I am unboxing all my stash. And it is really big! I love my fabric. I can't wait to get to the machine again.
Until then I live through everyone elses little sewing treasures.
They are all treasures. Even if they are the first quilt. You will definately improve with work. And in a little while you'll appreciate those first attempts, because you'll see how much you've improved.
Have a great time.
Blessings,
Sherry

Karen said...

Wow, very neat stash! You put me to shame! LOL.

QuiltedSimple said...

I think you have more of a stash than I - I love the way you are organizing it right from the beginning!
Kris

Anonymous said...

You look very organized I need to work on that myself. And I love your blocks for the quilt-a-long.

Midlife Mom said...

I agree with Needled Mom, I want to see that stash in a year!!! You will probably have the whole bedroom loaded with fabric, it really is addicting!! Welcome to the club, we should have a 12 step program! Hello, my name is Midlife Mom and I am a fabric addict! lol!
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!