Man shall not live by bread alone,
Our Lord and Master said,
Our Lord and Master said,
But by the living Word of God,
Our souls must needs be fed.
So as I cook and serve the meals,
I will sincerely pray,
That I shall give, along with food,
Some Christ-like love today.
Now as I clear the meal away,
And wash the pots and pans,
Dear God, please cleanse my thoughts and heart
With thine own loving hands.
Man shall not live by bread alone,
So we do pray, Dear Lord,
"Please make us very hungry
For a knowledge of Thy Word".
by Nellie Pease Gorbett
I ran across this little poem on a picture my Mom used to keep in her kitchen. My Mom was a great cook, and when able, always had a garden from which she mostly canned for the winter. I suppose that is where my daughter, Valerie got her talent for canning and cooking.
She also was big on drying apples for good homemade fried apple pies. Mama passed away at the age of 97. She was featured in the newspaper once about all her canning at the age of 90.
When I was a little girl, we were all so hungry when we got home from school. I was the youngest in the large family, and two brothers who were on the school bus with me would run as hard as they could to get to the house first to get some freshly cooked food that Mama would have waiting. Many times, it was Fried Apple Pies......the absolutely best thing I could imagine. They would get the apple pies before I could make it on my short little legs. Finally, Mama saw what was happening and always put one up for me before we got there.
In her later years, Mama realized that fried foods were not that healthy, and started doing her "fried" pies in the oven, in an iron skillet with just a little oil and brushed butter on top of the pies. Actually, they were just as good, and much more healthy. She made her own dough for them, and used dried apples that were cooked with sugar for sweetening. She would roll the dough out into a circle, cut it perfectly round with a saucer as a guide for cutting, spoon the apples in the middle and fold over, pressing the edges with a fork, and punching holes on top of the moon-shaped pie with a fork so that the steam could escape. You can tell I watched her do it so many times. I have made them many times, but they never tasted as good as Mama's.
Our souls must needs be fed.
So as I cook and serve the meals,
I will sincerely pray,
That I shall give, along with food,
Some Christ-like love today.
Now as I clear the meal away,
And wash the pots and pans,
Dear God, please cleanse my thoughts and heart
With thine own loving hands.
Man shall not live by bread alone,
So we do pray, Dear Lord,
"Please make us very hungry
For a knowledge of Thy Word".
by Nellie Pease Gorbett
I ran across this little poem on a picture my Mom used to keep in her kitchen. My Mom was a great cook, and when able, always had a garden from which she mostly canned for the winter. I suppose that is where my daughter, Valerie got her talent for canning and cooking.
She also was big on drying apples for good homemade fried apple pies. Mama passed away at the age of 97. She was featured in the newspaper once about all her canning at the age of 90.
When I was a little girl, we were all so hungry when we got home from school. I was the youngest in the large family, and two brothers who were on the school bus with me would run as hard as they could to get to the house first to get some freshly cooked food that Mama would have waiting. Many times, it was Fried Apple Pies......the absolutely best thing I could imagine. They would get the apple pies before I could make it on my short little legs. Finally, Mama saw what was happening and always put one up for me before we got there.
In her later years, Mama realized that fried foods were not that healthy, and started doing her "fried" pies in the oven, in an iron skillet with just a little oil and brushed butter on top of the pies. Actually, they were just as good, and much more healthy. She made her own dough for them, and used dried apples that were cooked with sugar for sweetening. She would roll the dough out into a circle, cut it perfectly round with a saucer as a guide for cutting, spoon the apples in the middle and fold over, pressing the edges with a fork, and punching holes on top of the moon-shaped pie with a fork so that the steam could escape. You can tell I watched her do it so many times. I have made them many times, but they never tasted as good as Mama's.
10 comments:
How precious! Grandma was really something. I miss her so, but love hearing stories like this one about her. I love you, MOM.
What a nice tribute to your mom. I'll bet those apple pies were delicious. They sound fabulous. I'm glad that Valerie continues the tradition of putting food up.
What a nice story about your Mother. I was just thinking that so many fond memories about our mothers and grandmothers revolve around food. My after school treat was often fresh bread..especially the twists flavored with cardamon and topped with pearl sugar.
what a great post. fried apple pies...now that is an after school snack!
Your mama was a remarkable lady and her family is as well.
What a lovely tribute to your Mom. How I love stories like that! It's so nice to have those wonderful memories of the special things that she made and did. A remarkable lady for sure!!
Loved reading the memories of your Mom. I learned how to make fried pies from my Grandma. Your new way sounds very much healthier.
hugs))
What wonderful memories. She sounds like a wonderful woman.
This blog about Grandma Cochran makes me smile!! I love hearing "Grandma Cochran Stories". Love, Shannon (Alice's granddaughter)
I remember those fried pies. They were so delicious warm from the oven or cold from the refrigerator the next day! I miss her so much and think of her every day. We have a wonderful heritage from her. You are so much like her, Mama. I love you. Brenda
Post a Comment