Aug 18, 2008

This Too, Shall Pass

Below is one of my favorite poems.

This Too Shall Pass


If I can endure for this minute

Whatever is happening to me,

No matter how heavy my heart is

Or how dark the moment may be-

If I can remain calm and quiet

With all the world crashing about me,

Secure in the knowledge God loves me

When everyone else seems to doubt me-

If I can but keep on believing

What I know in my heart to be true,

That darkness will fade with the morning

And that this will pass away, too-

Then nothing in life can defeat me

For as long as this knowledge remains

I can suffer whatever is happening

For I know God will break all of the chains

That are binding me tight in the darkness

And trying to fill me with fear-

For there is no night without dawning

And I know that my morning is near....


Helen Steiner Rice

9 comments:

Susie said...

Beautiful verse and so true. I really enjoy her writing!
xo

Anonymous said...

It is so inspirational and good to have when we need it.
I like your music :D
Happy Tuesday!

Val said...

This is my favorite poem too. I have used this often to get through many trials. It sure helps. Thanks for sharing this.

*karendianne. said...

Oh my. I love this and need to copy it and hold it close. How perfect.

This too shall pass with Love, *karendianne.

Unknown said...

Perfect timing, thanks!

Midlife Mom said...

Wonderful poem! I love Helen Steiner Rice. I think I will print that off and put it on my bathroom mirror to read each morning. Thanks!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful poem and a beautiful clematis flower.

Anonymous said...

I will print it and read EVERY day. Thank you. I also love this music about praying at the river. This has been very refreshing to my soul! Love, Brenda

rachel griffith said...

i was meant to read your blog.
:D

i just stumbled here...blog link to blog link.
lol.