Sep 12, 2008

Estate Sale!

These printed blocks were embroidered around the flowers and the circles were hand embroidered. They are very pretty.







I really don't usually like to go to estate sales. I find them so sad. To see the things left by someone who enjoyed their belongings, and used them. I remember the first one I went to, I left with tears rolling down my cheeks. To see their kitchen and bedroom items up for sale, as if they are of no value except for money.
BUT, I did go to an estate sale Saturday, as I was with Valerie and her daughters and we all decided to stop.
This one was different. There was a certain feeling of respect in that house, and the feeling like a happy life had been lived there.
I saw a table full of fabric, and it was all new. There was a very old, and very used sewing machine there also.
I ended up with over 84 pieces of brand new fabric that I purchased for a mere $20! Unfortunately, most of it is polyester, knits, and blends each one to six yards each. There were about 20 pieces that were cotton. There were many many craft items, including pillow and doll crafts. There were several items that had been embroidered, and some not finished. I am thrilled with my purchase. The big question is, what in the world am I going to do with this much fabric!

10 comments:

Val said...

Well, I haven't went through it yet!!! Smile. Love ya!

Sweetie said...

Hi - this is my first visit. I was at PEA's and saw your post. What beautiful embroidered squares. Also, as expensive as fabric is, you got a good deal. I remember when EVERYTHING was polyester (maybe that will happen again lol)! I, too, find estate sales sad.
Sweetie

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of fabric! I can't think of ways to use the polyester but who knows, maybe it will come back in vogue someday ;D

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a great deal even if you can only use some of the fabric.

In our area there is a group (Assistance League) who helps a home for young girls and they always love receiving fabric for the girls to use. If you aren't using it, I am sure someone could -- even polyester.

I'm with you on estate sales. I'd hate to see my things with folks snooping through them. It's nice when someone does get a beautiful piece like the flowers and really appreciates it.

*karendianne. said...

These circle blocks embroidered with french knots (is that correct?) are absolutely lovely. I said to myself "Oh my" out loud. No one was here to hear me but you can imagine. I really really REALLY love these.

...and of course I'm happy to hear you have an assortment to add to the stash to play with.

*karendianne./ Living Life at LeeHaven

jacquie said...

looks like a fun stash to explore...you never know what treasure you might find. love the embroidery too.

Susie said...

I know what you mean about the sad feeling to estate sales. One can hope that the things sold there will be treasured once again..
xo

Carole Burant said...

Hi Alice:-)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment! I felt like you about estate sales because it always saddened me to think of someone's personal stuff being sold like that but then I thought at least it would have a good home to go to if I took some of it home with me! lol You certainly did find a treasure in all that fabric...I'm sure you'll find something to do with it all:-) xox

Midlife Mom said...

You'll find something to do with the fabric. That was a good deal. I love the embroidered pieces, sure a lot of work. Yes, sometimes the sales are sad but like Pea said it's nice to give the things a new home.

Anonymous said...

It is sad! When my Dad died, we didn't have a sale. They had nothing really of value like antiques but we all just spoke up about what we wanted. We donated some items and gave some away but most of it we just kept. I think it would have been even sadder than it was if we'd had to watch stranger touch and haggle over their things.
I do enjoy resale shops. Some of the things I've seen there like old photos and letters, I wonder how the family could have parted with them.
Mama Bear