It is a stormy night here, just like last night! Thunder, lightening and rain! Just the kind of night I love to be home, listening to the storm outside, but safe inside my sweet haven!

My parents, she was 16 years old and he was 18 when married.
My great-great grandparents
My Mother's family of 11. My Mom was on top right.
I also found my music books from the time when I was nine years old and first learning to play, and on until a few years ago, many books, sheet music, etc. I don't play much any more, because of time limitations and carpal tunnel problems. I have a wonderful piano. It is electric and will sound like a grand piano, or organ or orchestra, whatever sound you want, at the touch of a button. It will also record. I love it! It was a gift from my husband quite a few years back. I gave the piano that my children grew up playing and practicing on to Valerie, as she expressed an interest in having it, when I got this new one.
Found my beginners books with teacher's notes.
Me at 10 years old, my first evening gown made by my dear Aunt Bonnie of white dotted swiss. I was so proud!


Oh, my, and I found some "Needleworker" and "Sew Beautiful" magazines that are just fabulous in there, also. I used to subscribe to that one and I am considering subscribing again to it. It is a wonderful magazine with wonderful projects.


So, tonight I decided to do a little organizing of my cabinets under the entertainment center. Oh my, what a mess! I had not looked inside here for about 3 years, I am ashamed to say.
I have been looking for a very special book, a history of Fannin County, GA that I purchased many years ago. It has the history of many people from Blue Ridge, GA, including my parents, and grandparents and great-grandparents. I thought I may have loaned it out, but lo and behold there it was, just waiting for me. I was so happy to see it, because it can no longer be purchased.
And, a collector's book, "And Autumn Came" by Rod McKuen, signed and numbered. I used to love all his poetry many many years ago, along with many other poets that I have collected. I love all kinds of poetry, and can never get tired of reading poetry.
Oh well, that is the story of my "Found Treasures" tonight. Now I need to get busy and get it all put back up in an organized fashion!
8 comments:
Oh Mom! I am so glad you found your hidden treasures. My favorite one is you at your piano recital. That is priceless! I treasure my piano that you gave me. I would not take anything in this world for it. I love you forever.
You must be so happy with your found treasures. They are gems, for sure. The older photos are fabulous! You look so pretty with your white formal gown on sitting at the piano. I am glad that you tackled the cleaning project. It was well worth it.
.
I love listening to a good storm too - as long as I am safe and warm inside my home. We don't get many here so they are special when we do
I'm not very fond of storms. We have so many trees and when there is wind and lightning I worry about one falling on our house. I do like a plain rain though.
Love all your found treasures, the old pictures, articles and especially the photo of you. Were you at a recital?
I have the same copy of the Lord's Prayer..it was my mother's. I'm enjoying listening to Clair de lune. My mom played that alot. Thanks for the memories!!
Oh my! What wonderful treasures you found! It must have seemed just like Christmas. I love the picture of you in your dotted swiss gown, so pretty and poised looking at such a young age! I loved dotted swiss too and had a few things made out of it. My mother used to sew dresses for us on her old treddle ? machine.
We got hit here in Maine by Hurricane Bill but mostly in the western part of Maine where my sister lives. It is dreadfully humid today with thunder storms predicted with lots of rain. Hopefully it will cool it off a bit.
I noticed in your profile that you like the Mitford series too. I just LOVED those books and wish Jan would come out with a new one!!!!
you were just beautiful in that gown!!! what a wonderful post! thanks for sharing!
Isn't it amazing the treasures we can find when least expecting it:-) Such a wonderful book that Facets of Fannin is, made even more special because your ancestors are featured in it. Your parents were so young when they married but then that was quite normal in that era...I was 18 when I got married in 1976 and know now I was much too young!! Your mom came from a family of 11...my mom came from a family of 15, just don't know how they did it!! Well I know how they did it, but you know what I mean! hehe That picture of you at the piano as a 10 year old is absolutely gorgeous, what a treasure that is indeed!!! No doubt you had so much fun going through all those music and sewing books, as well at the poetry book. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us:-) xoxo
You are just as beautiful now as you were then, Mama! While we were growing up I was always so proud of my beautiful, kind and gentle Mother up there playing the piano for our Church! Im so glad you found your Fannin County book! I knew you would have it in that vast library somewhere! Love, Brenda
Such special treasures. So glad that you found the book with your family heritage.
Post a Comment