Feb 3, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

I have to confess that I have had to have an attitude adjustment this past weekend.  On Friday, we experienced a winter snow storm here in north Georgia.  We are just not prepared in any way for this kind of weather, and the cold is not fun for me.  I love seeing the snow and I think it is beautiful!  But this time, it did not bode well for me.  We were allowed to leave work early on Friday because of the weather, and I was so excited because I had a project started for my Pay It Forward gifts, and I could not wait to get home to work on them. 
The roads were icy, and slick and  getting worse by the minute.  We don't know how to deal with that down here.  It is strange, because when I lived in Connecticut, it seemed to snow all the time in the winter and I drove in it all the time with no problem, because they know how to keep the roads clear there. 
But back to my attitude.......when I finally got home, there was a horrible noise outside.  I thought, who is on a motorcycle in my drive?  Then it stopped and I was walking by the thermostat and suddenly the noise started again!  It was coming from my heat pump!  I immediately turned it off and went out to look at it, struggling to stand up in the snow and ice.......the fan blade had ripped apart.  After calling service, and learning that they could not be here until today (Monday), I was just upset (a mild word to express how I felt).  But I had to wait, no heat all weekend! 
I went out on Saturday and bought space heaters, and they have worked very well.  Nevertheless, it has been a worrisome thing.  Today, I learned that the fan totally cut all the coils and ruined the unit.  So, I bought a new one today.  I have never been so glad to spend $5800 in my life!  I cannot stand cold weather.  After thinking about my attitude all weekend, I decided that I was just a really bad girl to be so upset!  I remember when I was a little girl, we only had a big house, with only a big heater in the dining room and kitchen, and fireplaces in each of the other rooms.  Since I don't have a fireplace, I just did not know what to do!  My daughters wanted me to come there, but I had so much I had planned to do here.
UPDATE!   I have a new unit that was installed on Feb. 2nd!  It is so quiet and wonderful and makes the house so cozy!  MY ATTITUDE HAS BEEN ADJUSTED!
Another update:  Below are some pictures of Victoria.  She has been trying to open up,  and on Feb. 1, she looked like this

then on Feb. 2nd, she looked like this:  (see below)

The picture below as made today, Feb. 3rd.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Snow and Ice do seem to send the south into a tail spin. I grew up in the south and it has always been this way.
This beautiful flower would give "anyone" an attitude adjustment. Hope you have an awesome week and are prepared for the possibility of more snow/ice this weekend. I hear we have another storm coming. I live in Va and I am trying to prepare.
Blessings, andrea

Faye said...

Bless your heart sweetie..I know here in Ga. we are not use to this weather,(Espically with no heat). I am so glad you got it fixed now.You are human and I would have acted the same way..The flower is beautiful..Hope you have a great day! Blessings:)

Jocelyn said...

I am so glad that you were able to get a new unit. It is something that you really need to have when it is cold. Victoria is looking lovely. Can't wait to see her in full bloom.

Needled Mom said...

I'm afraid that my attitude would be the same as yours. I do not do well in bad weather. Grump, grump is what I would consider myself. Glad it is now resolved.

Were you able to work on your PIFs after all of that?

Victoria is probably still trying because it was so cold. Here they would have all opened in two days and that would be it.

Anonymous said...

The coolness probably did keep Victoria behind a little. Just that much longer for us all to admire her beauty. So glad you got things fixed. I am always on edge when I hear a strange noise. I can hear the second the fridge, washer, drier or furnace goes on the blink. HH gets to mad at me. I am always saying does this or that sound funny to you. No, I don't hear anything.
QMM

Val said...

Mom, You never have a bad attitude. But I do so understand. I would be aggravated too. I don't like being cold either. I am so glad that you got a new one. I bet it will be worth every penny! I am glad that you are warm. I love watching Victoria on a daily basis especially since I don't have a Victoria!!! LOL!

Heidi said...

LOL at Valerie's comment on not having a Victoria. Too funny.

We had to get two new units for our house at the same time.. only 3 months after moving in. But I can honestly say that after 5 years - it was a fantastic investment. You will notice a nice drop in your utility bills too. And the noise difference is amazing. We can't even hear ours come on.

I'm glad you are warm again!

Pokey said...

Heater trouble for you is like AC trouble for us, unbearable. I know some people don't agree, but I've never faired well in the heat. I'm glad that you're heater trouble is over.
Victoria's looking great! What do you think, full unfurling in a couple of days?

StitchinByTheLake said...

When I'm cold there is no adjusting my attitude - I turn into a raving crazy woman. Even with the heat going here (my husband's idea of heat, definitely not mine) I keep a heater going in my bedroom! I'm thrilled you got a new unit! blessings, marlene

KathyB. said...

From reading this I can tell you would not do well in my state, with frequent rain, mud, and gray days. I love it though. I am happy to see you now have your heat of choice and Victoria did not suffer in the chill~obviously God surely knew which part of the U.S. you need to reside in!

We keep a constant supply of fire wood for our wood stove, the power goes out here all the time and even the best furnaces don't work without it.

*karendianne. said...

Whew, that's one situation that will test your strength my friend. I'm glad you persevered - but then, of course you would. Victoria is beautiful by the way. How neat to watch her open.

*(ps: gee wiz I didn't know heat pumps were so expensive!)

caknitter said...

I'm so happy to know you are warm and toasty now . Thank goodness you were able to get a new heating unit. I completely understand the attitude adjustment though it seems like you didn't need one. :-)
I feel like I just went through one with my computer situation...such is life.

Victoria is looking beautiful!