Feb 22, 2010

Busy weekend!

Friday night sew-in, by Heidi and Bobbi , a new (old) sewing machine, pruning roses, church........wow!  what a busy weekend!!  First of all, I have been so intrigued with Granny and Valerie's sewing machines.  Granny loves her 401A Singer, and Valerie now has one, and she says since she has had it, it is the only machine she has used.
One of Valerie's many blogging friends,Michelle, found a 401A Singer and I decided to buy it from her.  It was fairly inexpensive, and Michelle gave me a great deal on it.  (Thank you, Michelle!)
Well, it arrived on Friday, just in time for the Friday night sew-in.  I had started a project for my PIF partner and I was having a problem with some of it, due to the thickness of the project.  When I sat down at the Singer 401A, it  just did exactly what I wanted it to immediately.
Now, that was my Friday Sew-In project and I can't put a picture on here of it until  Midlife Mom receives her package.
I also did a potholder that Valerie told me how to do.  Valerie learned these from Lola at Andsewon. Check it out HERE. She has a tutorial on her sidebar that is a great design and Lola has made it so easy to do!

That's me, testing the new (old) machine! Ignore the printer mess on my desk, this is where they set the machine up for me until I get a cabinet for it.

Everyone said this was the time to prune my roses, so I spent a long time doing that...........thorns! eeeooowww!  I have to say it was really not fun.  Why can't it be sewing time all the time!

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Ouch...thorns!!
Blessings, andrea

Michelle said...

You look beautiful behind your 'new' machine. I am so pleased you like it, and I'm glad it arrived in time for your Friday Night sew in! Thank you for posting a photo.

Thank you so much for buying it from me. I hope you have many many hours of enjoyment sewing.
Be blessed!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I truly sympathize with your thorn picked fingers - that's exactly what I did this weekend too! Oh how I hate that job; I just kept reminding myself how much I will enjoy the sweet roses later!
Congrats on the new "old" machine and I am thrilled that is working so well on your projects.
My sister did get her new Down Syndrome blog up and running - it is http://caleb-story.blogspot.com. Hopefully her experience will be helpful to others.

Jocelyn said...

How wonderful that you got a new (old) machine. I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to see what you create on it.

Val said...

I hope you like yours as much as I LOVE my machine! Michelle knows a lot about sewing machines. She is my sewing angel that I go to and ask all the questions. I am glad you got your roses pruned. That is a hard job I know.

KathyB. said...

You DO look beautiful at your sewing machine! If I had a hope the sewing machine gives beauty like yours I'd be parked there more often.

Are you finished pruning your roses?

Needled Mom said...

Sometimes those older machines are such workhorses. The newer ones seem to be picky about thicker fabrics. Glad they were able to find one for you.

I hate the job of pruning the roses, but they looks so nice when they are finished. I did mine in January - nearly 100 of them!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got a new machine!! That is always exciting!!
Happy Sewing!!

andsewon said...

Oh how nice..a new 'old' machine!!
These seem to be popular right now.
Sure you will enjoy it. Great job on my pot holder!! Are they not fast and fun!?!!
We have a couple of older 'wild' like roses so may just have to prune them now. Also time to do the crepe myrtles here in VA.
Maybe you can find some gloves to wear that may help keep some of the thorns at bay .
Hugs,
Lola

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a great machine you've gotten from Michelle! And don't you just love sew-ins? I love my sewing groups, and I often get lots done besides visiting. :) blessings, marlene

Midlife Mom said...

I have one of those oldies but goodies sewing machines and that thing will sew through anything! I've had it since 1972!! I bet you were working on T's tote! She just loves it! It was cute how she noticed the horse fabric so soon!

I slept through the Friday night Sew In.......bad, bad, bad! BUT I did get the garden fabrics cut out this morning for my table topper! It is soooooo pretty, I will post it when I get it sewn together.

Take care!