May 31, 2010

Remembering my Brothers on Memorial Day

I am the youngest of ten children, and when World War II was going on, three of my brothers were drafted to serve.  I was a little girl then, and I saw my Mom on her knees many times praying for them. 
One night, she dreamed that my brother, Tate was calling her name.  She got out of bed and started praying hard for him.  He was in the action in France and later she got a telegram that he had been injured that very night.  He was sent to a hospital and recovered from his injury, thankfully.  Mama always knew that the Lord had been with him thru his terrible ordeal.  My other brothers, Felton and Letcher also served.  Letcher was discharged early due to an injury while in training.  Felton was sent over and served his whole time on a pt boat and came home without injury.
We all know that because of Mama's prayers and God's help, my three brothers survived their time in the service of our country.
Letters from them were rare, due to the security on all mail going to and from our service men in those days.  I was eight years old when the war was over, and I received a package from my brother, Tate.  (He loved me so much.)  It was a bracelet made from the remains of an enemy plane that they had shot down.  I still have that bracelet.  It is way too small for me now, of course, but I love my little bracelet that he fashioned for me.  It has my name "Alice" that he engraved himself in the middle of the heart.

My three brothers are with the Lord now, but they survived the war, thanks to the prayers of my mother and thanks to the sacrifice of all those wonderful men who served in that war.  What patriotic times we had then!  The American flag was honored and the men and women who served were special and were honored for their service.
I am so thankful for the men and women who are serving now, fighting for our country.  Things have changed so much now, but I know that the men and women who are now serving are just as patriotic as those who served in the past.  I thank them for their service and pray for their safety.

11 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Amen!

Michelle said...

I thank your brothers,even though they are Jesus now, for making our country, and our freedom, what it is today. Blessings to you on this day...Michelle

Susannah said...

Alice, that was such a lovely post. I, too, appreciate your brothers. AND that is such a lovely bracelet. I am so happy that you still have it.

Friends,
Susannah

Carole Burant said...

Happy Memorial Day to you and your loved ones, dear Alice. Your post was beautiful to read and I can't even imagine what parents go through with their sons/daughters fighting in the wars. My mom told me she remembers 4 of her brothers going to war and how grandma would pray every day for their safe return, much like your mother did. Two of my uncles were hurt but thankfully they all survived and came home. Saying "thank you" to all our veterans and to those who lost their lives just never seems to be enough. xoxo

Val said...

Oh Mom, I just love this post! This is why I wanted you to start a blog. I have never ever heard about or saw that bracelet! Thank you. Thank your brothers. Thank my Grandma! Thanks to all that have served in the military for our freedom.

Glenda said...

Thank you so much for sharing this post about your brothers. My mom used to tell me stories about her life during world war II and how everyone worked together and sacrificed. I am so thankful for men like your brothers who risked their lives for our freedom.

caknitter said...

Wow, thank you for sharing this great story about your brothers and what your family went through during the war. The bracelet is definitely a treasure to be cherished... how wonderful that you still have it with you. :-)

Alberta said...

So sorry to hear of your recent loss. What a wonderful tribute.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful loving post in tribute to your mom and brothers!!! I enjoyed reading about them and their service to our country. My son and DIL serve in the Army. I pray for them every day. This was a really sweet post...especially your beautiful bracelet from your brother. I am sorry to hear you lost a brother recently. My heart is with you during your loss. I pray you are comforted by our LORD!

prashant said...

that was such a lovely post.
Contextual Ad Network India

Brenda said...

This was a beautiful tribute to the life and service of your dear brothers. I remember them all and they were so kind. You should be so proud. I know Grandma was too. I love you, Brenda