



This is the last quilt my dear Mother made. It is what she called "The Bird Quilt". There are birds embroidered on the blocks with the state names. She worked hard on the embroider work, as at the time of her life when she did this, she was no longer able to handle the weight of the quilt itself, and had a friend to do the quilting on it.
She was so proud of this quilt, and it is the only one she kept for herself, and one day told me it was mine. She is gone now, but I look at the work of her hands and I can see her in my mind's eye as she worked diligently on each bird.
Mama did quilts, crochet, and embroidery. It was something she loved to do more than any other things. I am proud to have inherited the work of her hands and I cherish this quilt so much.
7 comments:
Oh Mom, this is so beautiful. Now we will all have pictures to remember. I remember how proud grandma was with this quilt.You surprised me with this post!
I love that style of embroidery - it reminds me of redwork which I collect. I love the bird theme of the quilt also. It truly is a treasure and you're so lucky to have it and those sweet memories!
Manuela
What a treasure. Family is everything, family treasures are the best.
What a beautiful keepsake quilt.I really enjoy my visit to your blog.
God Bless.Lisa
This brings back precious memories of my grandma. What a beautiful quilt! I remember how very proud she was of this! Thank you for sharing this!
What a beautiful quilt and a wonderful keepsake of your mother's handiwork. Such a treasure.
What a wonderful memory.
I currently cherish two handmade quilts that my great grandmother made.
Post a Comment