May 1, 2008

Mama's Bird Quilt






Several people have said they would like to see more of my Mother's bird quilt, which was the last quilt she ever made. I have made a few more pictures of the state birds on her quilt. I hope you enjoy it. Mama's eyesight was not as good near the end of finishing this quilt, and it is not perfect, but it is one of my most precious possessions, because my dear Mama did it, and she was very proud of it.

One night, while we were at the emergency room at the hospital all night long with her being very sick, I stayed right by her bedside, standing up, as there was no chair in there. She said how grateful she was that I stood there all night long with her, and that she wanted to reward me with her bird quilt. She did not forget that promise, and later on, she brought it out of her cedar chest and handed it to me. I still get tears in my eyes when I remember the sweet smile she gave me as she brought it out of the chest and handed it to me. Of all her children, of which I am the tenth and youngest, she chose me to have her prized quilt. You can see why I cherish her quilt so much.

7 comments:

Val said...

I miss Grandma so much. I love when you put things about her on your blog. We will see her again. Thank the Lord for this hope we have. I love you, Mom. You mean the world to me.

Anonymous said...

Came to your blog by way of CrazyMomQuilts. Thank you for sharing the bird quilt. It is absolutely beautiful. How lucky you are to have it. I was the youngest of many grandchildren and my grandmother who was in poor health by the time I came along made me embroidered tableclothes for my dolly tea parties. I let me girls use them when they were young. I will pass them on one day. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get some patterns of your bird quilt. Sorry this is so long - I rarely go on so. But your bird quilt touched me tonight. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memory of a special person. I treasure the afgan my grandmother crocheted and I am so lucky to have been the one to receive it and I treasure it. Your bird quilt is beautiful.

Needled Mom said...

What a fabulous keepsake from your mother. I know that she must be smiling just knowing how much you are enjoying it.

Susie said...

What a touching post. I can truly understand why this quilt is so very meaningful to you. It's beautiful.
xo

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by way of another, not sure now which one, but felt a connection when I saw your spring flowers/foliage on your side bar. I did the same thing this weekend and posted them on my blog. I love spring and the promise of new life. Your photos are great. I will be back.

Midlife Mom said...

Oh Alice Grace what a treasure! It is just beautiful!!!!!!!! How blessed you are to have this wonderful rememberance of your dear Mama! I will soon be posting about a quilt my favorite aunt gave me. It's one of my treasures.